I LIKE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

I Like Giving is about experiencing the joy of giving. 
We all have something to give. 
Giving goes way beyond money or things. 
It can be a listening ear, a touch, or simply the gift of time.
 Giving is living. 

-Back cover of I Like Giving by Brad Formsma


I have been reading called I Like Giving by Brad Formsma.  The book is filled with stories of people giving to others in fun creative ways.  Check out www.ilikegiving.com for videos and blogs about people who have been a lifestyle of generosity.  I have been so inspired by reading this book that Dan and I are looking for opportunities to give generosity in unique ways, the story below is one of those opportunities. All of Brad's videos or blogs start with I Like . . . so thus the name of our story. 

 I LIKE GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

Girl Scout Cookie season has officially begun! As, Dan and I were walking to Barnes and Nobles for a relaxing, fun, reading date, we saw the famous boxes of cookies and young girls scouts selling them at a stand!.  Girl scout cookies are great but I saw it as an opportunity to spread the joy of giving to others.  So I asked Dan if we could buy a box of cookies and then ask the girl who sold it to us to give it away.  Quickly a smile formed on Dan's face and I knew he was in!  

So we walked up and meet Tonya, a girl scout about the age of 8, selling cookies.  We paid for a box of cookies, but instead of taking the box, I asked if Tonya if she could do us a favor.  I explained that we personally did not want the box of cookies but would love if she would take her favorite kind of cookies and give it away to someone!  Tonya's whole face lit up with excitement and shouted "I want to give a box away!" She grabbed a box of Samoas (my favorite kind too) and ran off!  Dan and I smiled and walked towards Barnes and Nobles for our date.  

We do not know the end of the story.  We do not know who received the free box of Samoas but we do know that it was the highlight of our date, seeing Tonya, an 8 year old girl, catch the joy of giving!

Simple obedience changes history.  
I love simply obeying and seeing history change, one moment one person at a time. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment