BE tour: Embracing Wisdom: Becoming a Tree of Life (Proverbs 3:18)

BE tour: Embracing Wisdom: Becoming a Tree of Life
Proverbs 3:18


As I started this 2 month journey with God, a summer tour across America.  I asked him what was the theme of the trip for me, what was did God want to teach me on this journey, what could I be keeping my eye open for?  As I quieted my mind and listened to God, I heard in my mind "Proverbs".  So I started reading proverbs and the first 3 chapters are all about embracing wisdom.   As a approached the third chapter, verse 18, jumped out into my spirit! 

"She (wisdom) is a tree of life to those who take hold of her;
those who hold her fast will be blessed."


The more I listened to God and more I made sense of what He wanted to do in my life within the next 2 months and I was so excited! He wanted me to become a tree of life, taking hold of wisdom and being blessed because I would hold on to her.  God wanted me first to read through Proverbs during the trip, one proverb everyday meditating on the wisdom in Proverbs.  But he also wanted to give me new proverbs, or wisdom from Him, everyday on the trip.  

So with my journal and bible and a calendar, 
I started the journey of embracing wisdom and becoming a tree of life! 


Over the next 2 months, I kept my eyes open and heart soft to receive wisdom from God. Our God is Faithful! He gave me a proverb everyday! A phrase or word or picture that represented something I learned that day.  The lesson came through people I met, through my team, from nature, books I was reading or a situation or experience I had that day.  

Every night, I reflected on the day and what God taught me and created a short phrase or picture to help me remember the wisdom I gained.  As I did I recorded it on a calendar to keep for the future. 
I will share some phrases with you.  


You are my hiding place. 
Take care of MY yard. 
Be a door opener. 
Avoid three person triangles. 
Lower your pride. 
Allow others to carry their own knapsacks. 
I am responsible for my choices. 
Grateful heart brings joy.
Relationships become strong partnerships. 
Ball in their court. 
Life in my womb. Children are a blessing. 
Self-control is better than a warrior. 
Face avoidance. Be a graceful confronter. 
5 min. walk, 5 year commitment. 
A daughter becomes a mother. 
Bloom where you are planted. 
Steadfast warrior. 
Citizenship in Heaven. 
Breath of God fall on Deaf men. 
Raw emotions, hold my tongue. 
Lasso Clouds . . . bring sunshine. 
Confidence in the Lord brings freedom to others. 
Rest on God's stability. 
Come Holy Spirit revive us. 
Brokenness brings healing. 
Free: out of my box
Confidence in Christ: Fall down
LISTEN
Sips of Holy Spirit
Long-lasting satisfaction = worth the wait
Lord of Breakthrough: My Marriage
Avoid godless chatter
I love you, Apple Tree. You have an apple. 
Do not need sleep, I need JESUS!
Called to release. 

You and Dan have a map! 


To you, these phrases are just phrases, but for me each one has a deep meaning of a proverb I learned from God.  A moment where He spoke, or where I learned something that I can apply to my life or a moment of repentance leading to a heart change!  I see these phrases and I get a smile on my face and my heart soars, I am becoming a tree of life, I am embracing wisdom. 

You can ask me about any phrase if you are curious the lesson or experience behind the proverb.  I am very open in sharing what I have learned from God, so please email or FB me! I will share just a three here so you get the idea. 

Allow others to carry their own knapsacks. 

I was reading the book called "Boundaries" by Cloud/Townsend.  This difference between a knapsack  (load/burden of daily toil) and a boulder (burden/excess burdens) was brought to my attention.  How we are called to allow others to carry their own knapsacks (loads) but called to help each other with boulders (burdens).  I was reminded of chapter 6 of Galatians . . . "Carry each other's burdens" and then 3 verses later it says "each one should carry their own load". I was always confused with that statement.  The book explained the difference between a knapsack and a boulder.  I recognized how I am naturally a person who likes to help however I often help with other people's knapsacks, which is not helpful at all but actually harmful.  Each person is called to carry their own knapsacks.  When I allow others to carry their own knapsacks, when they have a burden, I will actually be rested enough to help! The next day, I was about to help out with something and realized that it was their knapsack so allowed that person to carry their own load.  It was a huge revelation and able to to see the difference between a knapsack and a boulder and be able to apply when I am called to help and when I am called to allow others to carry their own.  I was able to do this during the road trip and have continued to apply it now. 
Proverb for the day: Allow others to carry their own knapsacks. 

Long-lasting satisfaction = worth the wait

So when we were at Yellowstone Park in WY.  Our team got marshmallows to roast over the fire.  As I was roasting my marshmallow, well more like burning my marshmallow.  I have never had enough patience for the perfectly roasted ones.  The next evening, Dan showed me how and challenged me to try a roasted, not burnt, marshmallow.  So I did. It was the BEST marshmallow I have EVER had! However, it was not until a few weeks later that God really impressed this as a proverbs.  My body was reacting more and more towards the end of the trip due to my eating habits on the trip.  There was one day that I was so hungry but there was only food with dairy offered, so I ate it.  I was sick for a day.  The next day again there was limited choices for me but I decided to wait until after dinner and ask Dan to drive me to get something I could eat.  I waited and after having some vegetable soup, my body was restored! It was worth the wait. As I reflected, I saw how this applied to many others things in my life as well.  
Proverb for the day: Long-lasting satisfaction is worth the wait!  

Sips of Holy Spirit
 

When we served at Deaf Camp in IND for a week, I lived in a Yurt (picture above) and the closest bathroom was outside across a road, over bumping group about 300 feet away.  The first night, I went to the bathroom 3 times.  Each bathroom trips, I had to get shoes on, a sweater, get my flashlight, walk to the bathroom and then back.  It was a whole experience for me especially as a pregnant woman with a small bladder.  So the next day, I decided to drink less water! Bad idea.  I got dehydrated and was in the nurses office all day.  The nurse (and Dan) encouraged me I needed to drink water and I needed to do it throughout the day, sipping drinks here and there to keep my body hydrated.  Reflecting about it in the nurses office, I realized that just like water, I need to be sipping drinks from Holy Spirit throughout the day.  Not only in the morning during, my regular time with God but throughout the day, I need to sip Him in! So I did, sip water and Holy Spirit all day.  That night I went to the bathroom 7 times but it was worth it! I was hydrated physically and spiritually! 
Proverb for the Day: Sips of Holy Spirit

God, thank you so much for the wisdom and proverbs you gave me and taught me this summer.  Help me to steward them well and walk them out in my daily life. Jesus name, Amen. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment