Pictures Blog from South Africa Deaf World DTS Teaching Trip

Flight to South Africa


Arrived in Capetown, South Africa


Arrived at the YWAM Base in Worrecester. 


Teaching Moments 
 

I LOVE TEACHING!  It is a natural part of my design.  God always gives me great, fun ideas of how to make it visual with activities, visuals, dramas and getting people out of their comfort zone. I will say it again: I love it! But this trip was extra special because I had the joy of being able to disciple and teach with Veledise, a young Deaf teacher.  




It was such a pleasure leading the classes with Veledise! As I taught on the topics I have done so many times, the experience was even more enjoyable with her there. God was so faithful to give us so many activities, visuals and dramas to bring to life the teaching concepts: from dying to ourselves to sharing personal testimonies, using prayer stations, teaching dramas for outreaches, providing time for them to hear from God, breaking out in spontaneous Deaf worship on a hike and more.  This class was up and moving most of the time, and it was so fun! During our time in South Africa, I had the opportunity to encourage Veledise to step up and lead in many of the areas mentioned above. I enjoyed the opportunity for us to brainstorm together and fight battles together. As I encouraged her to get out of her comfort zone, it was a joy to see her shine as she discovered her own unique teaching skills!  


For instance, she led an amazing intercession time for the whole Base about praying for the Deaf around the world as well as for the Deaf people in Jamaica.  She started with sharing her own testimony that really helped others understood what it was like growing up Deaf.  It was a powerful time of intercession. Below I captured a picture of Veledise during her own intercession, crying out for Deaf people to experience Jesus. It was an honor to disciple her as she stepped out of her comfort zone in many ways during this trip; allowing God to use her more fully as a leader and a teacher. If you want to hear more about Veledise's perspective of the trip, click on this link to read her newsletter where she shared what the trip meant to her. 
Below, I have included some favorite pictures from our trip. Enjoy!




Classroom Activities 



 
Hearing God's voice stations

Veledise used my Hearing God's voice stations (that I have used in many of my teaching weeks and DTSs) and created a beautiful environment for all of us to hear from God. We had a cross station where we wrote down our sins and nailed them to the cross, a forgiveness station, a thankfulness station, a creative station and so much more! 




Students sharing their testimonies brought so much understanding and unity among the group.




Teaching Dramas for Outreach




Family Game Night



Taste of Jamaica Day

We brought goodies from Jamaica for the team to try like Jamaican coffee, 
sweets, plantain chips, banana chips, tea and more!



The staff fought over the Jerk Chicken seasoning so we prayed and decided to have a Jamaican night celebration.  Veledise cooked the Jerk chicken. We also had rice, juice from Jamaica and a little treat. They all loved the food and fellowship!



Beautiful people in the community! 


Leadership Team for the Deaf World DTS

Our amazing South African Intepreter, Thuli.



The picture above is of a Deaf ministry at a church, and below there are pictures of a weekly park run that many Deaf people attend.  It was so fun to meet, mingle, and the same time run. I was able to run with Hester, a Deaf World DTS student.  I want to be able to run like her when I grow up!





Traveling back home to Jamaica 



0 comments:

Post a Comment